“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of uneducated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” -Calvin Coolidge
As a serial entrepreneur, I can say that businesses do not fail, people give up. In my book, “Ignite the Secret” I dedicate a whole chapter to never giving up. When challenges arise in starting a business, you have to dig into your inner strength. You cannot get what you want if you refuse to get out of your bubble and do a little dirty work. According to Bloomberg, 80% of businesses crash and burn. Therefore, if you want to be successful at starting a business, you must find ways to keep going.
“Three Feet From Gold” is a story about quitting before reaching a goal. This story can be found in one of my favorite books, “Think and Grow Rich.” During the California gold rush, a man went for months and months prospecting for gold in the hills. He just knew that he would strike gold. Every day he got up early in search of his fortune. He would find some gold here or there but nothing significant. Finally, he gave up because he became convinced that he would never hit “the motherload.”
Hearing this another prospector came and offered to buy all his tools, and the man agreed to sell them. The new prospector went on to hire a land surveyor, an engineer, and a geologist to work the mine that the first man was working. Upon studying the area and the mine, they discovered that the first man had only been three feet from gold. The poor prospector who had given up was so close to gold that he could have reached out and touched it. Upon hearing the news, the first prospector could only wonder what might have been had he not given up.
Below are five tips about never giving up from my book “Ignite the Secret.”
1. Turn failure into a lesson. You will make mistakes in business here and there. Sometimes things can go wrong. Failure is not final. However, if you are willing to learn from your mistakes and adjust your plan, then you can move onto the next bigger, better success. You fail only when you stop so keep going.
2. Seek out inspiration wherever it can be found. Surround yourself with successful people and their determination will drive you. Embrace personal development opportunities. You must invest in yourself if you want great success.
3. Push yourself when you make things necessary in your life you will accomplish them. Do not allow yourself to give up on your dreams. When you refuse to give up, you can do unimaginable things. The hardest times in your life often lead to the greatest moments. Tough situations build strong people so push through adversity. Do not be the prospector that gave up just before striking gold.
4. Set your intentions, you must create your reality. You must become determined to succeed. Set your mind to it and then take massive and consistent action towards your goal. Create so much momentum that with each step you grow stronger and stronger creating your reality.
5. Let it be easy. Most of us tend to make things more difficult than necessary. We build things up to such magnitude by thinking and rethinking every moment in life. All aspects of life benefit when we stop making things so complicated. Let it be easy is crucial, yet the concept really is as easy as that. All we have to do is get out of our head and clear of fear. Do not complicate things that are not complicated.
Being an entrepreneur is not easy, but it is worth it. I cannot imagine how different my life would be had I given up and went to work for someone else. Being an entrepreneur has allowed me the opportunity to travel the world, live the lifestyle that I want to live, and most important it has allowed me to mentor other entrepreneurs.